Cartes De Visite of William Starke Rosecrans in West Point Cadet Uniform, 1837-42
Wikipedia: "The carte de
visite or CDV (also carte-de-visite) was a type of small photograph
which was patented in Paris, France by photographer André Adolphe
Eugène Disdéri in 1854.
It was usually made of an
albumen print, which was a thin paper photograph mounted on a
thicker paper card. The size of a carte de visite is 2⅛ × 3½ inches
mounted on a card sized 2½ × 4 inches. It was made popular in 1859
in Europe, and from 1860 in the United States. The new invention was
so popular it was known as "cardomania"and eventually spread
throughout the world."
William S Rosecrans
worked for his father in a general store in Homer. A George
Arnold opened a store in Utica and offered William a job.
Later when Arnold moved his store to Mansfield William moved.
One day William was the driver for T. W. Bartley, future Supreme
Court Judge of Ohio, on a trip to Columbus. Bartley enjoyed the
trip so much. he encouraged him to get an education. Rosecrans and
his father began a correspondence with their congressman and secured
an appointment at West Point. William spent time at Kenyon College
to prepare for the West Point examination and entered the school in
1837 at the age of 18. When he graduated in 1842 he was 5th in
general merit and 3rd in mathematics.
Thomas Wolke sent the following
|It appears these are from the same photograph or at the least the same sitting.|
To see larger views
of the CDV,
click on image at left
|Return to General Rosecrans||